Gynecomastia surgery Miami also known as male breast surgery is the medical term used to define the abnormal growth of the mammary gland in men. This procedure can surgically correct overdeveloped or enlarged breasts in men.
Gynecomastia may affect one or both breasts and it’s distinguished by the presence of a mass of glandular tissue measuring about 0.5 cm in diameter and growing to different sizes below the nipple-areola complex. This condition commonly occurs in men of any age and also on adolescents during puberty. There are other treatment options that may not require an operation yet plastic surgery has proven to be the most effective approach.
Male gynecomastia can be the result of hormonal changes, illness, heredity conditions, or the use of certain drugs. All of this may be linked to the overdevelopment of the male breasts and may also produce emotional discomfort and affect your self-esteem. Some men may even avoid getting intimate with their partners and certain physical activities to simply hide their condition.
Causes of Gynecomastia Miami:
- Chemotherapy to cure cancer
- Chronic liver disease
- Steroid hormones
- Abusing drugs and alcohol
- Dialysis and kidney failure
- Failure of the male hormone testosterone
- Testicular cancer radiation therapy
- Side effects produced by certain drugs
Although breast cancer is not that usual in men, some signs may suggest the presence of this type of cancer such as:
- Bloody nipple discharge
- Breast tissue that feels lumpy
- Skin ulcer on the breasts
Male Gynecomastia is characterized by:
- Excess fat
- Overdevelopment of glandular tissue
- Gynecomastia may be present unilaterally (in one breast) and bilateral (on both breasts)
Breast reduction for men is very common in South Florida, particularly at Eres Plastic Surgery located in Miami, Hialeah and Broward where the highest standards of quality and professionalism are offered. We have the best gynecomastia surgeons and will make sure that every man is happy with the results. Gynecomastia surgery can improve physical posture and also have a positive psychological and emotional impact on the individual.
Gynecomastia plastic surgery is a highly individualized procedure that should be done for yourself, and not to fulfill someone else’s desires or to try to fit any sort of ideal image.
Gynecomastia surgery is a good option for you if:
- You have realistic expectations
- Your breasts have fully developed
- If the person is bothered by his breast size
- Adolescents may benefit from plastic surgery, although secondary procedures may be needed in the future, since breasts haven’t fully developed yet
Gynecomastia is best performed on:
- Men whose condition cannot be corrected through alternative medical treatments
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life threatening illness or medical condition that may affect their health
- Non-smokers and non-drug users
- Men with a positive outlook and specific goals for improving the physical symptoms
Gynecomastia at Eres Plastic Surgery - First Steps
At Eres Plastic Surgery our patients will first undergo a complete breasts examination looking for possible causes of gynecomastia. Some cases may require a mammogram to rule out breast cancer and examine breast composition. We also need to check the amount of fat and glandular tissue in order to decide the best surgical technique to utilize. The patient should receive a complete laboratory test and some other tests as well to confirm he or she is ready to undergo plastic surgery. If patients have any chronic disease, smoke, or have high blood pressure; this can produce complications, so it is very important to talk about all these things with your gynecomastia surgeon first.
The personal health history of the patient will be taken into account before the patient and gynecomastia surgeons decide which surgical procedure is best suited for the patient. On the day of the operation, there will be marks throughout different areas in the body. The body will also be disinfected. Once the patient is placed on the operating table, anesthesia is administered by our anesthesiologist and hence the procedure is performed.
At Eres Plastic Surgery, we use two techniques for the gynecomastia procedure: liposuction and mastectomy:
- Liposuction in gynecomastia is a technique that works the same way as a conventional liposuction anywhere in the body, depending on the quality of the skin, the breast size, and condition of the breasts. It’s necessary to first sedate the patient under local anesthesia, and then the gynecomastia surgeons use all the necessary surgical tools with the highest level of professionalism. The patient is then moved to the recovery room. You may be able to go home on the same day.
- Mastectomy is a technique used when the male breasts are too large, sagging or have lots of drooping skin. At Eres Plastic Surgery, our surgeons are qualified to remove all the excess tissue and skin from the lower edge of the areola. The operation is performed under general anesthesia with the utmost care. We advise a family member accompanies you on the day of the surgery, as you may be in the recovery room for at least one night.
After gynecomastia surgery the patient about a week will return to their daily activities after sitting in perfect condition and not requiring physical effort, depending on how each patient feels in particular. It is recommended for a better outcome for the patient few sessions of post-surgical massage and ultrasound is performed.
Most of the swelling and bruising in the skin disappear during the first two weeks. A month later, patients are able to resume their physical activities. If there is pain or any complications you should quickly inform your doctor and take medications recommended by your surgeon. You should get a list from your doctor of all the medications or supplements you should avoid talking. Swelling and bruising after surgery can be treated by cold compress during the first 2 days and after that you can use warm compresses. Pressure dressing is generally required for about 3 to 5 days.
Patients should also avoid sun exposure and tanning during 6 weeks. The sun can make the swelling last longer and make the discoloration permanent and the scar more visible.
Gynecomastia Surgery Risks
The operation used to get rid of gynecomastia may leave visible scars, depending on several factors such as the fat and skin excess and the amount of breast tissue. Scars may last a few months but they will eventually disappear. In addition there may be a temporary or permanent loss of sensation in the nipple.
Gynecomastia Treatment without Surgery
Mild Gynecomastia could be treated without surgery mainly with exercises to help tighten the muscles. Gynecomastia creams and pills can help as well. It all depends on amount of fat in the breasts. Having a low fat diet can also help to burn excess calories. Gynecomastia can be formed due to fat tissue, glandular tissue or both. When the cause of breast enlargement is fat rather than tissue it’s called pseudogynecomastia.
Gynecomastia Surgery Cost
Gynecomastia surgery in Florida has an average cost of $4,000 and $6,500. It all depends on how advance the condition is and the experience of the surgeon performing it.
At Eres Plastic Surgery Miami, multiple skilled board certified doctors perform this type of procedure: Dr. Anthony Hasan, Dr. Jonathan Fisher, Dr. Rami Ghurani, and Dr. Siddharth Bass. They are all extremely talented surgeons with an acquired wealth of experience, expertise and very high rankings in patient satisfaction. They also belong to respected and accredited organizations in the field of plastic and reconstructive surgery.